Saturday, April 12, 2008

felted bag

During the last few days, I used up most of the leftover yarn from my patchwork quilt.
This stash bust resulted in an awesome felted messenger bag.


I knit the front, back, and flap in one stockinette rectangle and then knit the two blue garter rectangles for the sides.
I also knit an extra long strap in garter stitch and several stockinette stitch felted pockets.



At first I sewed the sides to the bag body and tried to felt them, but the bag shape and proportions didn't turn out as planned. So, I cut it back into the original pieces and felted everything again so it would be more even. Then I sewed everything together.
I ended up having to tack and tie a few things on the bag to get the right shape and size that I wanted for everything. I am pleased with the result.



Yarn: Rowan Yorkshire and Scottish Tweed chunky (pockets: Noro Kureyon and Tahki Donegal Tweed Homespun)
Needle: US 11
Pattern: my own ( I have a few scribbles and calculations written down, but it was mostly done on the needles)

No comments: